Conservation Area

Local authorities have the power (under Section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990) to designate as conservation areas, any area of special architectural or historic interest. This means the planning authority has extra powers to control works and demolition of buildings to protect or improve the character or appearance of the area. 

To read more about Conservation areas on the Folkestone & Hythe District Council website click here.


 Conservation Area, Newchurch
Click picture to see a larger version of the map

Demolition of Buildings/Conservation Area Consent

Conservation Area Consent is required for the demolition in whole or part of most buildings and structures, including walls and outhouses.

If you need to apply for consent, the application form required can be found on The Folkestone & Hythe District Council Carry Out Work in a Conservation Area page.

Please note that in a conservation area you do not need consent to demolish a building which does not exceed 115 cubic metres or to take down any wall, gate or fence which is less than 1 metre high where abutting a highway, or less than 2 metres high elsewhere.

If any part of the building/structure is listed then you will require Listed Building Consent.  Click here for further information from Folkestone & Hythe Council on Listed Buildings.

IMPORTANT: The demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area, without the appropriate consent of the local planning authority is a criminal offence. 

If you are unsure about whether you require consent then please seek advice from the planning department.

Building Regulations: Please note that you may need to submit a demolition notice to Building Control regardless of whether you need consent from the Planning department. For further information please click here to view the Demolition Notices which have been submitted with Folkestone & Hythe District Council.


If you wish to fell, lop or top or uproot trees within a conservation area, you must give the Council six weeks notice in writing. It is an offence to carry out the work within that period without the consent of the Council.

The application form you need is titled 'Application for tree works - Works to tree subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) and/or Notification of proposed works to trees in a conservation area'. This application form can be found under the heading of 'Conservation Area Consent (only), Listed Building Consent and Works to Trees' on the Folkestone & Hythe District Council page.

See what the council have to say about Tree Preservation orders here

You can contact your local Tree Warden Anne Cragg on 01303 874251

Satellite Dishes

The siting of a satellite dish on the chimney stack or on the roof slope or elevation fronting the road requires consent from the Council.

Please see 'A householder's planning guide for the installation of antennas, including satellite dishes' for further details, although please note that this document was withdrawn in March 2014.  It is currently difficult to identify any replacement.

If you wish to place a satellite dish on a commercial building please contact the planning department so that they can advise you further.


This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work.