Newchurch Village > History > St Peter & St Pauls > Tithe Maps and Registers

Tithe Maps and Registers

The Tithe Maps, together with the Tithe Registers, provide valuable information about the owners and occupiers of all the land and buildings in the parish on the date of the register. The Tithe Registers show the areas of land on which a tithe payment was made to the Rector. This was originally made in the form of 1⁄10th of the produce, which the Rector would store in his tithe barn until required.
Tithe_MAP.jpg


The following Terrier, or inventory, was written by Reverend Nanes, showing all property owned by him in 1833.

A true note or Terrier of all The Glebes, Lands, Meadows, Gardens, Orchards, Houses, stocks, implements, tenements, portions of tithes and other rights, belonging to the Rectory of NEWCHURCH in the County of Kent & Diocese of CANTERBURY.  One small Manse or dwelling house with about three acres and a half of Glebe Land including the Church Yard and contiguous thereto,  and to the parsonage. Also one acre of glebe detached and surrounded by the land of Charles Phillips Esq‘ called Cobbes place, let at a rent of forty shillings yearly – one small garden, one Barn and stable, built by the present Incumbent in the year 1827 – no orchard.

The Rectorial and Vicarial tithes belong to the Incumbent. The Rectory formerly detached and without Lure of Souls, but now held to have merged in the Vicarage.  About three acres and a half of Glebe Land sold by The Late Incumbent under The Act of Parliament for the redemption of The Land Tax. The Rectory and Vicarage are valued separately in the Kings Books. The Church, a spacious and large building, is exempt from The Jurisdiction of The Archdeacon. The population small; under 300 by The Last Census, 1831.

Edward Nares Rector & Vicar
Of Newchurch Oct. 22. 1833

Archibald Stoakes             }
Thos Piddlesden                } Churchwardens 

 

The method of payment was changed in 1847 when a fixed payment instead of tithes (moduses) became payable, as can be seen in the Tithe Register extracts:

Tith_gross_rent.jpg

From the 1847 Tithe Register we can see that the total amount payable to the Rector instead of produce was six hundred and thirty two pounds and three shillings.

Comparison of the old Tithe Maps shows little change over the years. What changes there are, are more likely due to improvement in mapping than changes in the landscape.

In the late 18th century, under the direction of Major General Roy, the foundations of a general survey of the British Isles began. Using the technique of triangulation from a relatively short base-line set up on Hounslow Heath and a further base-line for verification on Romney Marsh in 1787, accurate measurements were made using the new Ramsden’s 100 foot metal chain.

Added to the later 19th Century maps were points showing heights above average sea level, which was particularly important in Newchurch and the whole of Romney Marsh. Surveyor’s bench marks were inscribed onto walls and their height above average sea levels shown on the maps.

BENCH-mark.jpg

 

Return to History Home →