The the oldest surviving dwelling in Newchurch is the rear part of Norwood Farmhouse which was built in the 16th century. An older barn, close to Honeywood Farmhouse, was built in the 15th century.
The two extracts of the 1847 tithe register show a cluster of cottages and houses to the west of the Black Bull, now mainly gone. The only remaining buildings are Bridge Cottage and Newchurch House Restaurant. There was also a slaughter house and a butcher’s shop there, and a cobbler’s shop was opposite at some time. One of the forges was by the road just to the east of The Black Bull.
The rear part of this farmhouse was built in the 16th century. Outside is Mrs Winifred Wimble aged 92. © D. Chiverrell
The tithe map of 1839 and the tithe register of 1847 give a good account of the ownership and occupiers at that time. The owner, Archibald Stoakes was Lord of the Manor and Level. The three cottages No.269 refer to The Poorhouse near to Norwood Farm.
Extracts from the tithe register showing Newchurch properties, some still standing and some now demolished.
A Cobblers’ shop once stood opposite Bridge Cottage.
From left to right; Mrs Huntingdon, Mr Overy, Mrs Hilda Shorter.
We are grateful to Michael Rodgers who has identified the car in the picture. It is a Ford Popular 103e, manufactured between November 1953 and April 1954, first registered in London and would have cost £391 including purchase tax. Considering its condition he estimates that the picture was probably taken in the early 60's.
Bridge Cottage. © D Chiverrell
Plan showing old buildings from tithe map
This old house was demolished to be replaced by The Chestnuts, just north of Wills Farm and it is said that during demolition, several smugglers’ masks were found which disintegrated and could not be kept.
The three pictures below were kindly provided by Mr Brian Wimble showing Newchurch, or more correctly, what wasn't in Newchurch in 1950. The people in the pictures are Brian, his Mother Maud and sister Ann.
Above: On the footpath bridge. In the background, Clarklands before Patchways was built.
Left: Sitting on the wall on Newchurch lane where the present disused Piggery now stands. The old barn was the cook house in 1944-45 when the field opposite was a fighter airfield.
Right: By the front gate at Brookside farm, looking out towards the field where the Village Hall now stands.
Newchurch sometime before the development of the houses between Frostlands Farm and Bridge Cottage.
It is clear from the aerial picture taken in 1946 that there were in fact very few houses in the village.